GC Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

But it's my space...

Well, no doubt I ruffled but a few feathers about what I think of myspace. Let me clarify and communicate in more depth as to what I am saying.

1) Is myspace the devil or sin? NO. Myspace is not the devil. Neither do I believe that it is a sin to have a myspace. What I do believe is that what you post on your myspace is subject to the scrutiny of the Bible. (and occasionally your pastor) And if you are professing to be a Christian then you should, without question, make that obvious in your "space". I do not think that you need to put crosses and pictures of the Passion movie all over your space. But you should make a concerted effort to filter what is said and what you say on your space.

(Note: I did not and will never go deliberately looking for flaws or mistakes in anyone's life. If I happen upon them I will overlook them, however in certain instances [like this one] the Holy Spirit may impress something upon my heart that needs to be mentioned in a message. The purpose is to bring holiness, purity and God's grace to areas where they are lacking. Where sin abounds grace much more abounds.)

2) Can I have a myspace and be a Christian? I certainly hope so! Let us not be drawn away or enticed to be something we are not. Let's be pure and let's show our generation that it's possible to remain pure and relevant (read: cool) in the midst of this crooked and perverse world.

3) Do you hate myspace? No. What I do not like is the facade of "friendship" it's purveying. Part of friendship is living life together, going and doing things, hanging out, etc. Talking online should only be a minimal part of a friendship. You should hang out face to face, it's what God desires of us and what He desires our relationships to be like.

I hope that this helps clear the air. If you have a myspace and it's questionable or you don't know if it's questionable ask yourself this question - if Pastor Casey or Paige were with me, would I have wrote that? Or put that picture up? Or if you're more spiritual - since the Holy Spirit dwells inside of me and is capable of being grieved, am I grieving (or offending) the Holy Spirit of God?

Real simple. Just how we like it at GC. And just how God intended life: lead the way, speak the truth, live life.

ยข

PS If you have a question make a comment and I will answer it. If you have a photo from GC or of people from GC, email it and I will put it in the gallery.

PPS I did quote red vines + mr. pibb = crazy delish. It wasn't an original, but nonetheless brilliantly executed.

3 Comments:

  • Pastor Casey---have you gotten a myspace yet?

    By Blogger Sounds Like Natella, at 5:34 PM, January 24, 2006  

  • That quote about red vines and mr. pibb was unforgettably, brilliantly executed. It changed my life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM, January 31, 2006  

  • I ditched mySpace because of the "sex" bombardment on that site. It's on the ads, in people's profiles, and it's the main topic apparently for conversation. If I were to go back on, it'd be for business purposes. I don't hate Online social networks. I love them and think they are powerful. I happen to be on TagWorld.com and like it more there. But man, it sure does reveal what is going on in the hearts of individuals too afraid to express themselves in public (good and bad). - Good word Casey on the subject.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 AM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home